Saturday, November 11, 2017

Pinwheel Review

I am using November to assess my various rainbow projects for the Rainbow Scrappy Challenge. Given our move across the country, there were some months that were more productive than others. I only have half the number of pinwheel blocks that I need. Plus I'm missing yellow/gold completely and definitely need more orange, pink and purple. (And this isn't the final layout so please ignore the misaligned block in the second row.)

I'm also trying to finish up doll and baby quilts for donations to my local quilt guild. And I don't know about you, but I'm not always open to trying out the latest and greatest methods when I have been using a perfectly adequate layering process for decades.

However apparently there is some newfangled 3D quilt layering process that is all the rage with younger quilters. I'm grumpy and refuse to learn anything new.

Meanwhile, I found these at an estate sale.

I found these too.

I will probably have to use this fabric as a backing so that the full design can be appreciated.




18 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love those pinwheel blocks! Glad you're continuing on with them! Looks like fun finds at the estate sale,too. Maybe a helper cat makes layering and basting more fun? I'd go for that!

Dorothy said...

Love your pinwheels, also the 3D way of layering and basting. I usually have a black kitty under the top as soon as it floats to the floor. Have no idea how she hears it "hit" the floor, since she is usually sound asleep two rooms away :-) Fabric finds look fairly new--and scrumptious

Tami Von Zalez said...

Great estate sale score!

Cathy said...

That bunny fabric is to die for! You really scored with that one. These young whippersnappers and their newfangled ways! Darla and Alfie like to park on TOP of the quilt while I’m basting, as though they’re made of glass or something.

Monica said...

Oh my goodness, what a great fabric find! That is practically art. Your 3D basting looks good to me!

Frances Meredith said...

Your pinwheel progress appears to be at the same as mine. Plenty missing.

gayle said...

Now you just need to make some bouncing bunny blocks! (I'm admiring your newfangled practice of starting with a quilt back and then making a top to go with it...)

Julie in GA said...

Your pinwheel blocks look great together!
I wish I went to estate sales like that one--great finds, especially the bunny fabric!

Quilting Tangent said...

Before you sew turn teal block in row 2. Pretty quilt.

Angie said...

Great estate sale finds - that bunny fabric is amazing!

Sheila said...

Love those prints! What cute bunnies!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love those fabrics you found... how fun!
Your pinwheels are positively sparkling!

Cathy Tomm said...

Love the pinwheels. Yes get the missing colours done too. Your bunny fabrics are cute.

Cathy said...

I guess I need to get out more often especially to estate sales. I love those bunny fabrics. And I'm a fan of polka dots too. Good luck on RSC projects. They are never ending.

claudia said...

OMG! The bunny fabric is the best!!!
I'm loving your pinwheels.
I don't know about that 3-D layering thing. It looks complicated. I say stick with what works best for you!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Sally,
I have not heard a thing about 3D layering. Nada. I'm in the Midwest - new things take YEARS to get here. HAHA - truth though. I love the pinwheels - I've never met one I didn't enjoy and I love the mirror images. Very cool and it will be a fun quilt when finished. I am giggling over Gayle's idea - start with the backing a build a quilt around it! ~smile~ Roseanne

Susan said...

Maybe it is not a new way to baste, but a new inspection routine.

a good yarn said...

Like those pinwheel block variation every time I see it. It's definitely on the wish list. 3D Layering is news to me. At first I thought you were joking about your cat. You will have fun with the bunny/carrot print I'm sure.