Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Layered quilt

The plaid bunny quilt is layered with a wool batting. And I am using my technique of layering just the top and batting to lay down a first pass of machine quilting. This makes the machine quilting so much easier. The downside, of course, is having to layer the quilt twice although pinning two layers each time is easier than three.

I did remember that I wanted to break up the four dark patches at the top of the quilt. Unfortunately, I only remembered after I started machine quilting. But it was bothering me, so I cut out one of the dark patches, machined sewed on one seam, and hand pieced/appliqued the other four seams.

Molly does not like how I layer quilts because she says I get too cranky. Of course, it's her fascination with pins that puts me on edge. And then when she wrestles with her brother in the batting and quilt top, I admittedly go over said edge. Molly is still not sure if she will forgive me for loud noises and bad words uttered in front of kittens.

4 comments:

Jacqueline said...

Can't wait to see your quilting progress. This quilt is just so cute.

gayle said...

Well, if you were as loud and profane as I would have been in that situation, I can see where she might be a little miffed. But she seems to have been pretty forgiving in the past, so there's hope.

And bunniez!!!

Vicki W said...

I have to say that if Molly looked at me with that look of complete derision I'd be afraid to close my eyes at night.

Cathy said...

Hmmm. I think I'd be cranky too if I had to baste and quilt twice. But I get cranky having to do it just once, even if the cats are behaving (relatively speaking). As long as they don't start repeating those bad words, I think you'll be OK.